Japan Fan Club – FINISHED!

Japan_Fans_FINISHED_3

This is my proud face:  😀 😀 😀 😀  It’s taken over a year, but at last mum’s new Japanese-style door curtain is finished!  (Ummm, just in time for us to move out of the house it’s useful in, but oh well!)  It’s also well in time for Mother’s Day this Sunday and for the A Lovely Year of Finishes challenge for March.  🙂  Mum’s seen it in progress, but I’ve managed to keep most of the final quilting and finishing secret, so I don’t think she knows it’s done yet.Japan_Fans_FINISHED2_2

The backing is some fabric from mum’s stash, and was just the right size for this project.  Most of the quilting was done before the back was added, and only a small amount of in-the-ditch quilting around all the gold sashing was done afterwards to hold the sandwich together nicely and stop the backing flapping about a lot.  For this I used a gold-coloured (NOT metallic!) Aurifil on top and grey YLI soft touch in the bobbin, which has blended in really nicely with the back.  The top stitching all around the quilt was done with grey YLI soft touch and seems to have worked well, though it does show up quite a bit on the black areas.Japan_Fans_FINISHED_4

Now it’s done, there are a few things I think I would have done differently.  I’ve never done a turn-through backed quilt before, and if I did another then I would be wary of doing such dense quilting.  The quilt “pulled in” quite a bit because of the background quilting on the grey areas and that affected how flat (or not!) the quilt lies and made trimming it square tricky.  I should also really have done the foundation quilting in the ditches first, not last!  I did this for a reason – because I wanted to use that quilting to hold the three layers together – but in practice that was a bit of a silly way to do it!  The dense quilting really affected the squareness of the blocks and there was nothing much to brace against to mitigate the effect.  The backing worked out astonishingly well, though, and I’m very happy with how neat and square it is.

All in all, I am ever so pleased that this has come out looking even slightly like I imagined/hoped it would!  Fingers crossed mum likes it on Sunday and that it keeps many draughts away!  🙂

Linking up with TGIFF, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? and ALYoF!  😀

6 thoughts on “Japan Fan Club – FINISHED!”

  1. My mum would absolutely love this quilt, colours and all, well maybe pink instead of the coral (she’s MOST particular and not afraid to say it)! You’ve done a terrific job in all aspects; I love the thread on the black part of the fans, (metallic in colour but NOT metallic…I’m intrigued) and the FMQ you did in the block backgrounds is really cool. Also the way you quilted the window sashes is perfect for adding depth and reality to those windows! Yay on another FAL finish!

    1. Thank you for your kind words! 🙂 Nothing wrong with being particular, my mum’s the same. 😉 The coral was a mis-purchase for another quilt (from ebay iirc, I thought it was going to be a completely different shade!), but it found a home here. The thread on the black parts of the fans *is* metallic, actually, but by the time I’d done all of those and all the FMQ in metallic, I decided I’d had quite enough of silly sproingy fragile thread, so everything else was done with cotton and/or polyester thread. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *