2015 Pantone Quilt Challenge: Dyeing To Meet Marsala

2015 Pantone Quilt Challenge: Marsala

I wasn’t happy with how burgundy my Marsala fabric appeared in some lights, so I decided to hit it with some dye.

spice_1803_6After some deliberation, I picked Dylon’s dark brown.  I only wanted to shift the shade of the fabric a few clicks towards brown, so I only used one sachet despite having slightly more than 250g of fabric to dye.spice_1803_4This plastic bucket was the perfect size to hold both fabric and dye and kept me from making an epic mess of the kitchen sink!  In fact, the only thing I managed to unintentionally dye was myself:

spice_1803_2When dyeing, it’s important to establish beforehand that your gloves don’t leak!spice_1803_5The packet of dye suggested a total immersion time of an hour, but I decided to remove my fabric after only half an hour because I didn’t want it to be too brown.  Then I rinsed it out really well and threw it in the washing machine with a couple of colour catchers (which came out very brown!).

I’m really quite pleased with the final colour; it seems more red-brown now rather than burgundy.spice_1803_1I was disappointed that I didn’t get a textured look at all, but I’m not sure this dye works like that and I did stir the fabric in it pretty well.  Anyway, I like this colour and I’m looking forward to seeing it in my blocks.  With luck, I should get a chance to get started with cutting and piecing this weekend.  After some back-of-envelope calculations, I’ve realised I don’t have enough of this fabric to be able to make the size of quilt I want with the large (24″) blocks, but I should be able to do something good with the small (12″) blocks, or maybe even a combination of the two.  That’ll teach me to buy fabric first and do the maths later!  (But probably not.)

One thought on “2015 Pantone Quilt Challenge: Dyeing To Meet Marsala”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *