Yay! It’s not completely as I envisaged it, but it’s ok. No idea whether I’m going to get it quilted in time, but if I don’t I’ll just enter it as a top only. If nothing else, I really like how the block came out in large quantities (and large sizes).
Obligatory close-ups/gate picture:
I’ve started putting a back together for it, using some spare blocks and the un-dyed fabric I bought:
The centre is together now and I’ve started adding the necessary borders, only to discover that I fluffed my calculations a bit and I’m short on two sides. Argh. 🙁 Back to the fabric shop on Monday, I guess!
A Marsala Side-Project
While I was making the Marsala Spice blocks I ended up with a pile of HST units needing a home, so I pieced them randomly together:
Then, because I wanted to test out a possible idea for another quilt, I stacked pairs of blocks together and cut them up again, then skiffled the bits about to make two new “fractured” blocks:
They trimmed up nicely to 5″ square and made 12 new blocks in total, to make this:
It’s an interesting effect, though quite difficult with HSTs of this size and density; the reverse is a nightmare of seam bulk.
I was thinking of turning it into a cushion or maybe adding the blocks to the back of the main quilt, but those seams would make it rather less than comfortable. It’ll probably be a wall hanging, assuming I don’t break ALL the needles trying to quilt it. :s