I’m kind of eyeball deep in cracking the piecing of the mini swap quilt (and, ummm, keeping up with the day job), but I decided to take a cheeky afternoon today to limbo under the January deadlines for two online quilt bees – the 2017 Rainbow Scrap Challenge and the Honey Pot Bee.
The idea behind joining both these follow-along projects is to make me use more of my scraps – and it seems to be working so far! And yeah, I am totally merging them to kill two quilty birds with one patchwork stone. 😉
The Honey Pot blocks for January (there are two each month, picked by two different people each time) were Strawberry and Starflower. I also joined the Facebook group, and have been blown away (and rather intimidated!) by some of the examples people have come up with. However, finally I rounded up some suitable scraps and made my own versions of these blocks. Here’s my Strawberry (I decided I only wanted to do the small version):
It’s supposed to look like it’s ripening, but I’m not sure how apparent that really is! It came out quite traditional in appearance, and made me dip into some very chintzy Moda prints that I got in a scrap pack some time ago. I’m not sure about the use or positioning of that stripey shot cotton, but I CBA to unpick it – it stays!
I’ve already decided that I’m likely to end up with (at least) two quilts after this exercise – one that’ll be more scrappy-happy like the Strawb and one that will be slanted towards the RSC17 theme, that is, whatever the current month’s colour is on a Kona Graphite background. Speaking of, here are my Starflower blocks:
I didn’t originally intend to add yellow here, but when cutting my purples I found I’d miscounted and only grabbed seven – instead of having another rootle in the purple basket, I thought it might be more interesting to chuck in a complementary colour for one blade of the star and the Shimmer diamonds were begging to join in, so in they went! Thankfully, the purple looks better against the Graphite than I feared it would – it’s a pretty dark grey and if I didn’t have 5 yards of it, I would probably be considering something a bit lighter. However, I really like this and am half toying with the idea of sticking with Starflower as my RSC17 block and making them all like this – seven blades in the colour of the month, plus one in the complementary colour. I think it might be interesting, but I might do a mock-up in Inkscape first to make sure. Or I can stick with seeing what February’s Honey Pot blocks are and choosing the most appropriate to go along with the Starflowers. Decisions, decisions! And it looks like Molli’s just posted the blocks for Feb, so I’m gonna go have a read and a ponder. 🙂