After the very positive response my modification of the #SewRoyalBlock got on #TheHoneyPotBee Facebook group, I asked Molli about the idea of sharing the pattern for it and got an extremely supportive thumbs-up, so here it is – a foundation-pieced band of glittering jewels to adorn your crown. Rainbows optional, but fabulous!
You will need:
- The pdf of the pattern, found here
- Molli Sparkles’ pattern for the #SewRoyalBlock, found here
- Your usual sewing paraphernalia
- Fabric for the “diamonds”
- approx. 3″ x 2″ scraps work well for this; note that the central diamond is longer than the others!
- Fabric for the background
- a 5″ strip cut from a fat quarter should be more than enough
- cut two 1″ x 4″ strips from your background fabric before you start foundation piecing
- A rotary cutter, cutting mat and quilting ruler
- Clover wonder clips or similar (optional, but they do make life SO much easier!)
All seam allowances are 1/4″ unless otherwise noted. Familiarity with the foundation-piecing technique is assumed.
First, download the pdf of the paper pattern and print it out. Seam allowances are already included in the pattern and do not need to be added.
IMPORTANT! Make sure that you print the pattern in landscape format with no scaling or at 100%, and use the 1″ square to make sure that the block has printed at the right size, or it will not fit the #SewRoyalBlock!
Cut out sections A-G and note the piecing order and layout as shown in the coloured diagram. Piece 1 in each section is the coloured diamond; all other pieces are the background fabric.
Piece the sections using your preferred foundation-piecing method, then join them in the order A>B>C>D>E>F>G. The clips are really helpful for holding sections together and flat as you join them. Do not remove the paper until the entire #SewRoyalBlock is completely assembled.
Take the two 1″ x 4″ rectangles of background fabric and join them to the short edges of your jewelled band as shown below. Use the ruler and rotary cutter to trim the strips level with the top and bottom of the band (see diagram).
Your finished band should measure 3″ high and 8-1/2″ long.
Now, get on over to Molli’s place and follow the instructions there to assemble your #SewRoyalBlock, using your jewelled band in place of the horizontal gold-and-purple band.
Stand back and admire your beautiful new crown! 🙂