Yup, more Honey Pot Bee blocks! I shook off some work yesterday and spent the afternoon happily making Quilter’s Pantry blocks to, imo, good effect:
This is the one I’m keeping – I couldn’t resist pairing up these two novelty fabrics like this! Here it is next to the Strawb:
Not totally sure where this is going, but if nothing else, I’ll end up with a number of blocks that I can use in smaller projects if I like and I’ll have had fun making things I might not have otherwise. That’s a win in my book. 🙂
The jars were so much fun to make, in fact, that I decided to make more and put them together into two little tops for Project Linus:
They’re intended for premie babies and babies in ICU, so they really don’t want to be too big. Now, however, I am trying very hard to shake off a mental image of a larger baby quilt with lots of different shapes and sizes of jars to play “eye spy” with. And I totally don’t have enough novelty-type fabric for that. *sits firmly on hands*
While I was playing with my jars, Molli smacked us all with another Wild Card block – the rather glorious Sew Royal block – because what’s a bee hive without a Queen (or several!) and what’s a Queen (or King) without a crown? A challenge was also issued – take this crown and make it your own. Challenge accepted, my friend!
I woke up Inkscape and marked out a rectangle for the band of the crown, thinking that some foundation piecing and diamond shapes were in order. After some fiddling, I ended up with a band of off-set diamond or kite shapes I was happy with:
Once I had the foundation-piecing sections marked up, I printed them out and got piecing. I used two diamond prints from Jennifer Sampou’s Shimmer 2 for the points of the crown, and a third dotty Shimmer 2 print for the band because I didn’t want a directional print in all that foundation piecing! I think this crown may end up going with my RSC17 blocks, so I used Kona Graphite for the background:
The scraps of colour were just that – scraps I dug out of my recently sorted baskets and arranged in colour order to make sure they flowed well before I pieced the sections. I still rethought my red and purple choices during assembly, though.
In general, I think it came out ok. There was one lil hiccup, but I saved it and I don’t think it’s obvious to the casual observer so I’m certainly not going to point out what it was. You get an Internet Cookie if you guess, though. 😉 (Or possibly a Welsh cake, since I made a bunch of them yesterday.)
See my side-bar for link-up buttons! 🙂