My niece is a bit too young for Easter eggs, even if she didn’t have a dairy allergy. I decided to finish off the teddy I was making for her instead.I started him before Christmas, and did quite well on piecing the basic squares, but then stalled on construction. He’s made from most of a flannel layer cake with accents of normal quilting cotton. I lined him with interfacing because the weave of the flannel is very loose and stretchy and I wanted to give him more support. I didn’t actually know how best to handle the flannel, so I used a 1/4″ seam allowance, but I should probably have used 1/2″. The nappy-looking panel is actually a pocket. His muzzle was a happy accident – I only realised the same fabrics were opposite each other on the two front halves after I’d sewn them together. His eyes were done on the machine with a decorative stitch and his nose and mouth are hand-stitched.
He’s quite a big chap! I stuffed him by shredding up some fluffy polyester wadding I bought some years ago, before I actually knew what I was doing quilting-wise. Patchy must have been very hungry; he ate almost all of it. Thank goodness, too – I’d bought something like two metres of the stuff and it was otherwise kind of useless. I have about enough left to make a wall hanging, which is about the only other thing it might be good for.