Here’s what happened to the foundation-pieced crane I showed off in the last post:
I rootled around in my stash and discovered some more postcard-themed fabric, which I used to set the crane on point, then gave it a border with some textured chocolate-coloured fabric to bring it up to a better size for a cushion.
For the actual quilting, I started by quilting in the ditch for all seams, then elected to try matchstick quilting for the first time, by following one edge of each polygon shape of the cream background fabric:
I love-love-love how it looks and feels (as a chemist, it reminds me of crystal grain boundaries!), and it gives the crane some definition and dimensionality that it was lacking before quilting. 🙂
I didn’t want to clutter the busy postcard fabric on the corners, so I ended up using some neutral grey thread to quilt around the postcard edges and stamps. I’m very pleased with this – it gives a nice feel and look without weighing down the design or competing with the matchsticks in the centre. Even if it did mean I had zillions of ends to bury on each corner!
And here it is all together:
Currently I’m auditioning fabric for the back of the cushion; I’m an idiot, so I don’t have quite enough of the blue and white postcard fabrics left to do an envelope back with them. Something fairly neutral is called for, I think! And I need to hunt down some nice buttons, too. 🙂