So…. yeah. I’ve had this kicking around for a while now and I found I kept making excuses not to do anything with it. Slowly I’ve come to the realisation that this is because I really, really don’t like the way the quilting has gone on it, and there isn’t a lot I can do to salvage it because it’s slap bang in the middle of the quilt. Eugh. To quote pretty much every grumpy toddler I’ve ever met, I DON’T LIKE IT!
Once I realised this was the problem though, it allowed me to admit the possibility of changing it. If I really don’t like it that much and it’s stopping me from making any progress, maybe I should remove it and start again? To this end, the other evening I grabbed my seam-ripper and started my frogging: “Rip-it! Rip-it!” I’ve only managed to unpick a small corner so far (I blame my horribly erratic FMQ stitch lengths and the hard-to-see thread) but I already feel like this is the right thing to do. To be clear, I’m just getting rid of my terrible fail-feathers (fail-thers?) and the pebbling and the scratchy zig-zagging, but I’ll leave the general structure of big wonky hexagons – they help hold the layers together and I can work with them.
And do I have something else planned instead? Yes, kind of. For months this project has been folded up and abandoned in various places in my craft room and those gorgeous fish on the backing fabric have been beckoning to me, making me feel bad for neglecting them. I can ignore them no longer, so the new plan is to start by quilting from the back around some of those wonderful fishies, and then decide what else (if anything) to do next.
A change of quilting thread is also likely because I’ve discovered blues I like better than my original choice. Or maybe I’ll use metallics, since I’m a glutton for punishment like that. In any case, there is a Plan, but first I have to get rid of all the crap I put on there before I knew what I wanted. Ho hum. All mistakes in life should be this easy to fix!