Catching Up With My Honeys, Part 1

Honey Pot Bee blocks, that is! I confess, last month’s RSC17 “colour” being mixed-colour prints threw me a bit. How was I going to make that work with my Kona Graphite blocks? I dithered over it a lot, but without actually bothering to look at the options I had. Eventually, I hit the craft room and pulled out the relevant basket and Tula Pink’s Chipper stripes leapt out and sat on my face, dragging some snappy coordinating chevrons with them. Sold!

Thus, my version of Audrey’s Stripey Stripe block came to be! This was a really nice easy block to tick off the list. Looks good with all the rest, too. I may add some sashing at a later date, but for now I’ll leave that decision until I’ve made all the blocks I’m going to.

You can see that I’ve also completed a 2017 block by Patty of Elm Street Quilts for this set, with Kona Graphite as the background and four different Shimmer 2 metallic prints for the numbers. I like it – visible but understated, you can see it but it doesn’t drag attention from the actual blocks. When I realised that it finished at the same width as Molli’s #SewRoyal block, well! The two just had to be joined together.

I have a second copy printed out to go with the light-background blocks I’ve made (which I have mentally started to refer to as “Picnic in the Park”), it’s on my to-do list!

Lastly, for now, here is my version of the Starry Sky block designed by Kylie of A Persevering Mom chosen by Kitty of Night Quilter.

As you can see, I had fun with this one! When I downloaded the pattern and saw that one option finished at 2-1/2″ and another finished at 12″, my mind started whirling. Would, I wondered, the smallest block tuck into the centre of the largest? I printed and measured and…. YES! It TOTALLY would! I dug out my most starry scraps and made up four of the small version first, then assembled four of the largest version (with some slight modifications – I really don’t like paper-piecing large rectilinear shapes that I can rotary cut perfectly well and with arguably less waste) and put the whole lot together. For the most part, the blocks joined pretty well, though I did need to unpick and realign the small centre blocks once. Unfortunately I didn’t have nearly enough of the gold stars on cream fabric for all the blocks (I only just about had enough for two), so I substituted in some gold squiggles. I briefly considered mixing up both backgrounds in each block, but then decided that that would be far more distracting than two blocks of each background type. I think I was right.

I’m pretty happy with how it sits with the other Picnic blocks, too. 🙂

I’m currently working on the remaining Honey Pot Bee blocks (plus maybe a couple of unscheduled extras because I like ’em and it’s MY quilt, dammit!), hope to share them soon. 🙂