And literally in the nick of time, too. I finished the binding mere minutes before I had to go out, but it’s done. 🙂 There’s some bits I would change and some bits I’m not happy with (aren’t there always?) but on the whole I’m pretty damn proud of it.
The backing is a Marvel fabric I found in Birmingham, which I just couldn’t resist, and I used left-over yellows from the piecing to make a scrappy binding. It finishes at approximately 36 x 48”, which seems to have become my preferred size for baby quilts. Taken all together, it probably took me less than a week to make, but I was lucky I had the chance to really focus on it and keep the momentum going, or it would never have gone done in time.
Some of my favourite bits:
Gotham’s graffiti artists are an educated bunch! 😀 I found this equation fabric in a shop in Beaumaris on Anglesey and couldn’t resist scooping it up.
I’m pleased with how this tower came out, it was a bit that was really bothering me about how it would go together and it changed shape quite a bit during the design phase. It was paper-pieced and ended up working well, even with tiddly pieces.
Right in the middle there is probably the most awkward partial seam in the whole quilt. It definitely needs sorting if there’s ever a Gotham 2.0. (It’s not stained, that’s just drips from the iron.)
Perhaps designing several blocks of 1/4 x 1/2” finished bits was not the best idea. I know right?! Who knew?! It came close to working but isn’t right, so I’d do that differently next time.
For the quilting, I didn’t really have time to do anything terribly fancy (and I didn’t want to fight the busy buildings), so I ended up with organic straight lines for pretty much everything. I used different shades of grey Guetermann polyester on the buildings, working mostly vertically but also following the shapes of roofs as applicable, the bat signal light effect was done with variegated yellow cotton from YLI and the sky was horizontal lines in blue polyester. I used Superior’s Bottom Line in light grey for all of the back, so that it would hopefully not detract too much from Iron Man et al. Mostly everything was fine, although I did struggle with a bit of puckering and shifting when it came time to quilt the sky, especially towards the top, which was extremely annoying. I suspect an issue with my pinning, or perhaps it all got loosened up when I was shifting the quilt about during the building quilting (I used the walking foot almost exclusively). So, things to work on. Always things to work on! 🙂 But this one definitely counts as a triumph for me, especially given how much I had to hurry to get it done.