In part 1 of n, I mentioned that I was getting quite into EPP. Part of the reason for this is because I’ve had a project in mind for quite some time, but was unsure how feasible it would be. The project would involve hexagons, but generated by a small program written by a good friend of mine, which can output .svg arrays of hexagons that range from perfectly regular to highly distorted according to the preference of the user. To test the practicality of piecing the distorted hexagons, I selected a small sample (90 hexies) and, after some grooming of the shapes in Inkscape to avoid any concave angles, I printed out two versions – one on card to cut for templates and one on paper to use as a guide for later assembly.
To make life even more complicated, I decided that I wanted to piece my distorted hexies from recycled tie silk. I have a large collection of silk ties that I have purchased from charity shops, washed and unpicked for use in patchwork. They come in a marvellous array of colours, patterns and weaves! Some are very thin, whereas others are are much more thickly woven. To stabilise my silk and stop it behaving badly or shredding too much, I ironed my chosen colours to the lightest interfacing I could obtain locally. I didn’t put too much thought into colour arrangement – just grabbed a hexie and a silk at random and put them together.
The distorted hexies were a bit more fiddly than regular hexies, but my examples were quite small and I suspect the distortion factor was quite high for this sample. If I repeated this project, I would make the hexies larger and a little less distorted. They do look really cool, though!
Thanks to my “map” of the layout, the assembly of the finished hexies went quite smoothly:
Once my hexies were complete and assembled, I had a band of distorted hexagons looking for a home, so I appliqued them to a square of grey Essex yarn-dyed linen that I had hunted down at the Festival of Quilts particularly for this project. I really love this fabric, the weight and texture of it is lovely! It does shred terribly easily, though – I used an edge-binding stitch on my square to stop it unravelling completely before I managed to finish the applique and quilting.
Once the applique was finished, I made up a quilt sandwich and hand-quilted the hexagon strip with wavy lines in blue perle silk and the linen with straight lines in grey perle cotton, then turned the finished top into a cushion:
I really, really love how it turned out! Originally it was intended as a birthday present for my friend who wrote the hexagon software (it seemed very apt to give him something generated from his code), but the piecing and hand-quilting took a bit longer than I expected so it ended up being a Christmas present for him instead – I managed to finish it just in time. 🙂
Despite the challenges of this piece, I really want to try it again, with some modifications, and also with more control over colour placement. This may be a really good application for some of the beautiful Liberty prints I indulged in when I was at the Festival of Quilts! 😉
Linking up with Monday Making, Needle ‘n’ Thread Thursday and Oh Scrap – all links in my sidebar. 🙂