Blast from the Past 5: Mother’s Day 2019

Buoyed by my success with quilted silk, I was keen to play more with the concept, and Mother’s Day was a perfect excuse to do so! Mum had been enviously eyeballing the cushion cover I made for my aunt’s mum, so I quietly arranged for a few more silk swatches from The Silk Route in pretty reds, oranges and golds, mixed them with the greens I had left over, then set to dreaming up what to do with them. For a change, I thought a rectangular cushion would be nice, so I cut a quantity of HSTs from my silk and arranged them accordingly, in a gradient from one corner to the other:

It reminds me of leaves turning colour! Barring a few shuffles, I stitched my HSTs together to make my cushion top.

Now, how to quilt it? Because of the leaf colours, I decided to roll with that as a concept, so I did some minimal dot-to-dot quilting across each pair of HSTs, leaving a space in the middle, then doodled free-hand leaves in each one. To make the leaf shapes really POP, I used some tight stippling immediately around each leaf, up to the edge of the dot-to-dot quilting.

Like real leaves, they’re all different shapes and sizes! XD I used wool wadding, which really makes the quilting stand out and enhances the shimmer of the silks, some of which were “shot”. As I progressed through the quilting, I tried to use threads that matched (within reason) the colours of the HSTs I was quilting, to enhance the colour changes across the top.

A couple of flaps for the back and some scrappy binding, and it was all finished! Mum was really pleased with it, she loves that it’s rectangular because it provides better back support.

Mothering Sunday Gifts

Today is Mothering Sunday in the UK, so I made a couple of gifts for mum that I hoped she’d like.

First up is a purse.  My first go at making a purse for mum didn’t go all that well.  However, I thought I could see how to fix what had gone awry, so I took a seam ripper to the failed attempt and rescued the zipped pockets, card pockets and magnetic snaps (important because I didn’t have any more suitable zips and no time to get replacements!).  The first thing I did was to trim down the card pockets so that the total depth was much less, making the purse a bit more elegant.  I also took about 1/4” off each side (after checking the width with a card), since I wasn’t planning to turn through and therefore didn’t need to allow for the seam bulk.

mothers_day_purse_0603_5

I re-did the lining and the outer cover (fortunately, the new fabric I chose for the outer goes really well with the red lining fabric!):

mothers_day_purse_0603_1

I used some much firmer interfacing for the outer cover (maybe a little too firm, but it’s come out ok) and a medium-firm interfacing for the lining.  The whole thing holds its shape really well now.

I was really pleased with the exterior zipped pocket I’d added to the previous version, but wasn’t fussed about the contrast strip, so I just added the outer pocket without any extra decoration:

mothers_day_purse_0603_3

Luckily again, the gold-coloured zips go well with the new fabric I bought!  Because of the reduced depth of the purse, I made the outer pocket shallower as well, but it’s still pretty roomy.

The interior pockets are much the same as before, but they sit much better now that they’re not all twisted out of shape!

mothers_day_purse_0603_6

mothers_day_purse_0603_7

Still plenty of room, hopefully!

To finish it off, I made some bias binding from left-over lining fabric (not a wholly enjoyable task, I have to say) and, after basting the layers together, added the binding all the way around the purse.  Machine binding is, alas, something I’m still not terribly good at.  Something to work on, definitely.

mothers_day_purse_0603_2

The next thing I made wasn’t really planned at all, it just kind of… happened!  I had a whole bunch of 1-1/2” squares in yellow, cream and purple left over from a couple of different projects and I had my postage stamp template out because I’d just been using it for something else, so I started to arrange the squares on it with the purple in one corner, the yellow in the opposite corner and the cream between:

mothers_day_0603_1

It must have been fated to work, since I only needed to cut two extra squares to make a full 10×10 layout!  Once I’d made the postage stamp patch, it told me it wanted to become a cushion, so I rootled out some more of the cream fabric from the scrap box, added borders to bring it up to a sensible size (16” square), and quilted it with simple diagonal lines.  To add a bit of a twist, the quilting is partly yellow and partly purple, to match the respective corners:

mothers_day_0603_2

This is an effect I’m really happy with.  Some simple quilted lines around the border to frame it, and a nice envelope back from some more scrap-box fabric and my surprise cushion cover was finished!

mothers_day_0603_3

Mum seemed pleased with her presents, so that was a relief!  🙂  It is quite a challenge crafting for someone you share a house with and who doesn’t really understand the concept of privacy…

Linking up with Oh Scrap! and Monday Making (when it’s live).  🙂