Over on Craftster, craft swaps are a very popular pastime with strict rules as to sending deadlines and how many swaps may be joined and/or run, to avoid people becoming overwhelmed. For those who want to dodge the expense of postage, or have too many on-going swaps, or are just plain curious, there is the Fake Swap Craftalong thread. You add a post stating your intention to fake-join a current swap, aim to craft your items according to the guidelines and deadline for the real swap and post the results on the fake swap thread for all to admire. The “rules” for this thread are much more forgiving than the real swaps are! Because I’m still a fairly new member and haven’t joined any real swaps, I was ineligible to join the Quilt Block Swap, so I decided to fake-join it with my Star Baby and Birds and Bees quilts, which I completed in very good time. I also fake-joined the Frugal Living swap, which encourages participants to craft items only from their stash or other already-owned items, and with an eye to aiding frugal living for the recipient. With that in mind, and after considering my growing pile of scraps and off-cuts, I declared I would make some scrappy draught excluders for the house, since I have enough usable scraps to decorate the outside and enough unusable scraps (and thread nests and scraps of batting) to stuff at least one excluder!
Unfortunately, life and a new baby then happened and I’ve missed the original deadline by a country mile. However, we could really do with some draught excluders about the house so I am determined to make them anyway. My other motivation for making them is to test out the vintage electric Singer sewing machine we had serviced recently. It’s a solid, if elderly, machine with a nice smooth action and this could be the perfect project to try it on, since it doesn’t matter vastly if it makes a mess (though I hope it doesn’t). I’m also planning to try a quilt-as-you-go method to piece my scraps onto a backing of calico and wadding, and use some of the plastic sheet left over from the changing mat to make a water-resistant base. Or I might use the plastic to make an inner stuffed structure and use the quilted sections to make a removable, washable cover. I haven’t quite decided yet! But this is likely to be what I’ll do at Quilt Club on Friday, if I can get the basic structure and materials sorted out in time.