Usually I try and spread things out a bit into dedicated posts, but recently there’s been a fair amount of busy creating and not a vast amount of posting, so things have kind of snowballed. But in a good “yay things are finished” way, so that’s ok.
Baby Round The World
This is the finished quilt I posted about here. Not much to add other than binding, it was an easy finish. The only bit of drama was this:
Yep, that feeling when you cut all possible strips from your binding fabric and it still came up too short! Uff! Luckily, I had ends left over from the top, so I added in just a small piece of bubbly circles to fill the gap – job done. No, no pictures of the fill-in bit – I completely forgot.
It was an absolute pig to get together – it nearly killed me *and* my poor sewing machine! I’m fairly happy with it, however, and I’m still in complete love with the RK Shimmer 2 line, so that’s good too! But I’m going to need some time to forget how frustrating it was before I try making another one for me.
Poppy’s Flower Garden
It’s good to finally get this one done and handed over, I’ve had it on the back burner for too long. It’s for a friend’s little girl; by chance, they happened to be visiting our area this weekend and little Poppy’s third birthday was just a few days ago, so the timing couldn’t be better. Unfortunately, I hadn’t made any progress on it since I last mentioned it way back in August! After a hasty purchase of wadding (I wonder when I’ll finally cave and just buy a bolt?) and some frantic riffling through the stash for a backing (hello fleece!), I quilted up the top sans flower shapes with a FMQ flowers ‘n’ leaves ‘n’ stippling motif:
My hot pink variegated YLI thread was perfect for this project! Quilting on the fleece was a challenge because it’s so stretchy – it was hard to stop the quilt from puckering or distorting, I probably needed some stabilising straight stitching first before I started on the FMQ, but once the whole thing was done it looked alright. It’s interesting how much more obvious the quilting looks on the fleece side! After the quilting was done, I arranged all my petal shapes (once I’d finished folding the last ones), pinned them approximately in position and then used machine blanket stitch to fix them in place.
The flower centres were cut from some off-cuts from a strip roll and appliqued on with a zig-zag stitch.
The binding is yet more left-overs from a strip roll – you might recognise the prints from the Round The World quilt above! It goes with the front and the back, which makes me really happy, and the recipient seemed really pleased with it, so job’s a good ‘un! It’s always nice to get something off the UFO pile.